5 March 2013

Getting to know Maxime Szyf

As of last week you can buy 2 new frames at Smart Living Objects: the Luna Frame and the Touter Frame. This latter one is a creation of Belgian designer Maxime Szyf, who has previously earned his stripes working for Samsonite, Verhaert and Delvaux.

Click on the picture to enlarge

We're very happy about the cooperation with Maxime and we're very satisfied with the result. So we considered it was time for you to get to know him a bit better. Hence: an interview!  

Maxime! We all know you are a very talented and therefore busy designer. But what do you like to do in your free time?
Maxime Szyf: I'm a huge music fan. I've never been able to play a musical instrument, which kind of frustrates me, but I used to be a DJ, so that make up for it a bit. I'm constantly listening to new kinds of contemporary music. A hobby that I like to combine when traveling for work. Other hobbies include: running, squash, mountainbiking, snowboarding and surfing. And kite surfing will be my new challenge of the year.

What is your favourite restaurant and why?
Maxime Szyf: I'm a big fan of the oriental kitchen and when it comes to that Antwerp - my home town - has a lot to offer. Roji Sushi is a wonderful Japanese restaurant in the old city centre. For my wife's birthday we went to Pure C in Cadzand, which was amazing. I could see the sea, smell it, and taste it on my plate. When it comes to a fast yet healthy and tasty lunch I prefer Lunchbox near the city theatre.

What design are you most proud of?
Maxime Szyf: What child do you love most? It's impossible for me to answer that. But I prefer projects where there's a strong interaction with the people you're working for and where results speak for themselves.
And every new project is a new challenge to set your sights higher.

Which product of the XLBoom collection do you like and why?
Maxime Szyf: I really like the Cork Bowl by Alain Monnens. Very beautifully designed in cork, a lasting, warm and natural material. And the size is impressive without overdoing it.

What advice would you like to give to young designers?
Maxime Szyf: Go abroad. Learn languages. Get familiar with the environment of your users. Keep drawing with pencil and paper. Take a notebook with you, inspiration can happen everywhere. Think of everything: production, design, price, innovation, functionality, your users, fun...otherwise you're an artist. And last but not least: think positive!

Speaking of which, go enjoy the sun! Cause that's what we're going to do now too :)

See you next time!  



No comments:

Post a Comment